Thursday, August 12, 2010

Disney's Hollywood & Vine

Hi all,
After a long hiatus, I'm finishing my reporting on being gluten free in Disney, based on my vacation earlier in the year.

Tower of Terror

For lunch one fine day, my family decided to try Hollywood & Vine, a buffet style restaurant in Disney's Hollywood Studios park (formerly MGM). Part of this decision was swayed by the fact that dining there secures a special pass to sit in a reserved section of the bleachers for the amazing lights and water show Fantasmic.

a float from the show Fantastmic

Usually buffets are a hotbed of problems for a Celiac, but this is Disney we're talking about. After letting the server know about our intolerance (we also made a note of it when making our reservation), a chef came through to lead my GF mom and I through the line, pointing out all of the gluten free options along the way.
We made up a plate together to share:

If I recall correctly, this consisted of chicken, mashed potatoes, rice, various bean salads, and veggies. A pretty wide variety of choices, and there was even more that we didn't try.

As well, the chef sent out a tray of gluten free tapioca rolls. I wasn't a fan of them. A little too hard and tasteless (reminiscent of the very early days of gluten free bread when I was diagnosed 10 years ago) but it was still a great gesture.


Hollywood & Vine is a nice choice for lunch if stopping through Hollywood Studios, as its dinner prices are a little expensive, especially if you're feeding a family. Definitely make a reservation (even with one, we waited about 20 minutes for our table). It's also a good spot for young kids, as there are appearances made by characters from Playhouse Disney shows throughout the meal.
Another great Disney experience!

No comments: